Friday 9 March 2012

Women are awesome

I think it's safe to say I'm pro-women's equality in all aspects. Equal pay, equal child care benefits, equal access to birth control/contraceptives, equal representation in government, etc. I hope it doesn't sound like I am anti-man, because I'm trying not to be. I am male. I just want harmony in society. That's all we can ask for.

To all the moms out there, including my own, I am amazed at the fact that you put up with what, in biological terms, is a parasite living inside you for nine months, and in most cases after that happens, being squeezed out over a long number of hours. Men might think they are strong, buff creatures who can take on the world, but if they had to get pregnant, those mega-masculine machines would certainly be taken down a few notches.

---
Now for a few fun facts:

Did you know that all vertebrate embryos start out as female? I first heard that from Jurassic Park.
I guess it makes sense. Single cell organisms divide, basically breaking in two. Complex organisms, though, can't simply break in two to reproduce, so they have to have some way to incubate their young, either by laying eggs, or in the case of mammals, developing them inside their own bodies.

Did you know that bee hives and ant colonies are mostly female? Male bees and ants serve one purpose in their colony – sex. In fact, a whole lot of the animal kingdom shows examples of how the male of the species is only useful for reproduction, and by human standards, looks like they are subjugated in the process. Mantis females eat the males during fertilization. Anglerfish? Oh, those poor anglerfish males. They spend their whole lives from the time they are hatched searching for a female. When they get there and find her, they bite onto her, and end up dissolved into her body, so that she has a mate attached to her whenever she needs it.

Can you imagine if human society was like that? It sure would be a lot different than our world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment